Merlin KSU battery replacement????
Big Dog
2004-03-06 15:02:00 UTC
Is anyone familar with battery replacement for the old Merlin KSUs"

Among the many hats I wear on my day job is telephone technician for a
couple of small offices, both of which have elderly AT&T Merlin 820
KSU units. They work fine, for our limited needs, and have quite a few
programmable features. Ahead of their time, behind our time! The
systems:

One Merlin Plus 820 with Feature Package 2

One (older) Merlin 820 (no Plus) with Feature Package 2

Anyway, the KSU has some internal memory to store the programming
info, and comes with some kind of small internal battery to maintain
the programming info in the event of a power failure.

This "data protection" battery is the problem. It has a five year
rated life, and this five years is long gone and so is the battery. I
need to know what kind of battery it uses, where it is located, and
how to replace the battery. I have opened the KSU case, and I don't
see any likely suspects. I also have the users manual and installation
manual, but all they say is "call for service" and it isn't worth
paying for servicing.

I received some information elsewhere that there is a battery in the
FP2 cartridge. Someone else said that there are TWO batteries, one
on the KSU pc board, another in the FP2 cartridge. This seems likely,
since the KSU has programmable features with NO FP installed, and
additional programmable features when you add a FP.

Are there any Merlin wizards out there who have actually done this
battery replacement and so can offer assistance?
BC
2004-03-06 18:20:33 UTC
Post by Big Dog
[...]
In both cases the batteries are inside the Feature Modules. The battery
inside the Merlin FP2 needs to be soldered. The battery inside the Merlin+
does not need soldering. Try www.refurbsupplies.com to purchase replacement
batteries.
Big Dog
2004-03-06 20:33:09 UTC
Post by BC
Post by Big Dog
Are there any Merlin wizards out there who have actually done this
battery replacement and so can offer assistance?
In both cases the batteries are inside the Feature Modules. The battery
inside the Merlin FP2 needs to be soldered. The battery inside the Merlin+
does not need soldering. Try www.refurbsupplies.com to purchase replacement
batteries.
Thanks, BC.

Just to clarify, you are saying that there is only one battery per
KSU, and that single battery is located on the FP2 cartridge and not
on the KSU's main PC board?
BC